Circular economy and sustainability area
R&D OF CUSTOMISATION TECHNIQUES FOR LEATHER-LIKE VEGAN BIOMATERIALS
On the one hand, the market for biogenic and synthetic alternative materials to leather is growing, with the aim of replacing animal-based materials with vegan solutions. There is also a clear trend to replace petrochemical-based raw materials with those sourced from biological and renewable sources.
On the other, leather alternatives usually have characteristic colours of similar shades. This project aims to work on different sustainable processes to modify and extend the range of colours and textures available from these new materials.
This is the background to the CUSTOM BIO project.
Development of new alternative materials to conventional leather centred on the revalorisation of agri-food waste and the development of new processes to create different textures and colours on the substitute-leather materials developed. The solutions developed by the project will be aimed at the textile sector, specifically upholstery and fashion-accessories.
Specific technical objectives:
- Bibliographic study on biofabrication of materials from agri-food waste.
- Bibliographic study on new sustainable finishing processes for leather alternatives.
- Obtaining bacterial cellulose biomaterials with enhanced mechanical properties and new texturised finishes.
- To create coating biomaterials from agri-food waste and with innovative finishes.
- To create a wide range of materials with different textures and a wide range of colours. Implementation of sustainable finishing techniques: flexography, lamination, coating, stamping, etc.
- Characterisation of the sectors targeted by the project. Physico-chemical, mechanical and functional characterisation.
- The production of technical samples: processing data, physical-mechanical characteristics, etc.
- To create prototype finished products for target sectors.
- To perform a product evaluation study to assess the economic and environmental impact.
Revalorisation of agri-food waste, to give a second life to waste from the agri-food industry that currently ends up being discarded.
Substitute materials for animal leather and synthetic leatherette of more renewable origin, and with a wide range of finishes, colours and textures which also comply with the standards demanded by the target sectors (textile-home and fashion-accessories).
Prototypes for textile-home and fashion-accessories derived from alternative materials to animal leather and conventional faux-leather.
Grant number: IMAMCA/2023/6
Programme: Plan of non-economic activities 2023
Period of execution: January 2023 – December 2023
Status: In progress
More information: PLAN OF ACTION
This project is funded by the Conselleria d’Economia Sostenible, Sectors Productius, Comerç i Treball de la Generalitat Valenciana, through IVACE.
ÁREAS DE I+D
Nuevos materiales de altas prestaciones y funcionalizados
Economía circular y sostenibilidad
Fabricación avanzada, textiles inteligentes y digitalización
Soluciones de alto valor añadido para mercados estratégicos
The third call for proposals within the WORTH II partnership project, Europe’s largest incubation programme dedicated to creatives is now open for innovative projects ideas till 27 November 2023.
AITEX attends the Cosmetorium fair in Barcelona once again on October 18 and 19 to present its new products for the cosmetic sector. Stand 454.
AITEX has brought together 25 experts from the defense sector from different European countries for the final meeting of “Circular Material for Textiles”, within the project “Incubation Forum for Circular Economy in European Defense” (IF CEED).