PYROS – RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT OF SUSTAINABLE, FIRE-RESISTANT COMPOSITES. (2nd Year)
The composite materials industry has experienced dramatic growth in recent years as a consequence of the creation of high-strength fibres, the development of new polymer materials and enhanced and optimised manufacturing processes. The growth in output of these ground-breaking materials has been driven by the aerospace, aeronautics, transport and construction industries in the main, and the materials themselves have proven to possess far superior performance to conventional materials in many applications.
The opportunity to develop composites using renewable raw materials, both in the polymer matrix and the reinforcing textile structure is one of the main vectors of activity considered within the framework of the PYROS project. In addition, work will also be carried out into the flame retardant properties conferred on the polymer and the textile structure through the incorporation of flame-retardant additives and fireproof finishes typically used in the textile industry.
One of the goals of the initiative is to develop a new model for sustainable, fire-resistant composites combining function, design and performance for use in the target sectors of construction and public transport. January
The primary objective of the PYROS project is to carry out research and development of sustainable, fire-resistant composites for technical applications in the construction and public transport sectors. Sustainable materials will be used as alternatives for all the types of materials to be used during the project, including thermoplastic and heat-stable polymers and natural-fibre textiles, to enable the development of environmentally-friendly composite materials.
In order to achieve the overall objective of the project, research work will focus on the development of technical solutions including the following:
- Research and development of sustainable, fire-resistant thermoplastic composites.
- Research and development of sustainable, fire-resistant heat-stable composites.
- The production of scale-model demonstrators using the sustainable composites developed by the project, which have been designed for use in the construction and public-transport sectors.
Based on the results of the research carried out during the first year of PYROS, coupled with the work planned for 2017, the following overall results are expected:
- The development of fireproof thermoplastic polymers and heat-stable resins by additivation with FR compounds.
- The development of fireproof yarns by additivation with FR compounds.
- The creation of natural yarns with fireproof finishes.
- The creation of hybrid yarns by spinning polymers with natural fibre.
- Weaving hybrid fabrics from the resulting hybrid yarns.
- The development of natural-fibre fabrics with fireproof finishes.
- Preliminary prototypes of optimised thermoplastic composites for evaluation purposes. The subsequent transfer of results to the manufacture of demonstrators in a relevant application.
- Preliminary prototypes of optimised heat-stable composites for evaluation purposes. The subsequent transfer of results to the manufacture of demonstrators in a relevant application.
- Pilot-scale manufacture of demonstrators.
- Characterisation and evaluation of the resulting demonstrators.
- Efficient transfer of the results of the project from the participating technology centres to the relevant manufacturing sectors.
The PYROS project is a proposal to provide sustainable development for the business and industrial fabric of the Autonomous Region of Valencia. The possibility of manufacturing components from sustainable composite materials brings with it a wide-ranging and complicated set of research, development and validation tasks on the part of AITEX, which the Institute views as a technological challenge, but one with ample opportunities for achieving successful results which are easily transferrable to the industrial community.
This Project with the participation of AITEX and AIMPLAS, is supported by the Conselleria d’Economia Sostenible, Sectors Productius i Treball, through the IVACE (Instituto Valenciano de Competitividad Empresarial) and is co-financed by ERDF from the EU within the framework of the Operational Programme FEDER for the Comunitat Valenciana 2014-2020.
GRANT NUMBER: IMDEEA/2017/39
AMOUNT: 150.000,00 €
- Year: 2017
- Status: Finished
- Entity: IVACE