New high-performance functionalised materials / Circular economy and sustainability
R&D INTO THE IMPROVEMENT OF MECHANICAL AND THERMAL PROPERTIES OF BIO-BASED POLYMERS AND THEIR APPLICATION IN TEXTILE STRUCTURES
The need to bring industry closer to sustainability and to create products with a low environmental impact, has led to an explosion in the use of biomaterials in recent years. There is strong commitment to making recyclable products more generally available, in a world where terms such as circular economy and reuse are increasingly present.
The introduction of biopolymers into manufacturing processes is essential in order to meet the needs of today’s industry. This requires new sustainable products that can compete with conventional materials, ultimately replacing them altogether. In addition, commitment to the circular economy presents its own challenges, such as the reuse of raw materials and the degree of recyclability of the final product.
- To create bio-composites with high added value using natural fibres and thermoplastic resins of bio origin.
- Manufacture yarns from natural fibres and bio-polymers from staple fibre spinning methods, using Open End technology and ring spinning.
- Apply biomaterials in staple fibre spinning processes.
- To create 100% biodegradable thermoplastic composites.
- To introduce biomaterials into composite manufacturing processes such as thermoforming and injection moulding on textile substrates.
- To use previous studies related to the improvement of biopolymer properties to create new bio-composites with improved properties.
Development of 100% biodegradable thermoplastic composites from the union of natural fibres and PLA (Polylactic Acid) resin using thermoforming.
The study of the development of bio-composites from the injection process on textile substrates.
Development of hybrid yarns combining natural and PLA fibres by using staple fibre spinning processes such as open end and ring spinning.
Grant number: IMAMCA/2022/6
Programme: Plan of non-economic activities 2022
Period of execution: January 2022 – December 2022
More information: PLAN OF ACTION
This project is funded by the Conselleria d’Economia Sostenible, Sectors Productius, Comerç i Treball de la Generalitat Valenciana, through IVACE.
New high-performance functionalised materials
Circular economy and sustainability
Advanced manufacturing, smart textiles and digitalisation
High value-added solutions for strategic markets
AITEX’s role in ECOBALLIFE project will focus on the development of lighter, more comfortable and modular personal ballistic protection, including helmets.
The third call for proposals within the WORTH II partnership project, Europe’s largest incubation programme dedicated to creatives is now open for innovative projects ideas till 27 November 2023.
AITEX has attended the Cosmetorium fair in Barcelona once again on October to present its new products for the cosmetic sector.