On 14 April 2021, the European Committee for Standardisation (CEN) published Toy Safety Standard EN 71-3: 2019 + A1: 2021: Migration of certain elements. All CEN members must adopt and publish their own national standard by 31 October 2021.
– The main change from one version to the other is the adaptation to the new legal migration limits for aluminium in all three categories.
|Category 1||Category 2||Category 3|
|2250 mg/kg||560 mg/kg||28130 mg/kg|
– In addition, the new version also incorporates the following changes:
- Mention that it is up to the user to decide whether their toy is included in the scope of any of the parts of the EN 71 series.
- Mention that the following technical reports have been published in relation to the EN 71 series.
– CEN/TR 15071 ‘Safety of toys – National translations of warnings and instructions for use in EN 71 series’.
– CEN/TR 15371 Parts 1 and 2 ‘Safety of toys – Interpretations’.
– CEN/TR 16918 ‘Safety of toys – Children’s mouthing behaviour in contact with toys’.
– CEN ISO/TR 8124-8 ‘Safety of toys – Age determination guidelines’.
The current version EN 71-3: 2019, which was harmonised in October 2019, continues to provide a presumption of conformity with the EU Toy Safety Directive 2009/48/EC until the new version is published in the Official Journal of the European Union. (OJEU).