MARNET – RESEARCH INTO FUNCTIONALISED POLYAMIDE FIBRE FROM RECYCLED FISHING NETS FOR TECHNICAL APPLICATIONS
The growing public environmental awareness is redirecting the market toward the use of reused or recycled materials, and the emergence of recycled polyamide is a real and indispensable challenge that must be faced by manufacturers, as a means of promoting the circular economy.
The MARNET project focuses on developing innovative textile yarns based on polyamide fibre sourced from recycled fishing nets. These yarns are environmentally friendly and sustainable, reduce the amount of waste produced by fishing nets, and therefore, the pollution caused by the accumulation of textile waste. In addition to contributing to the cleanliness of the seas and oceans, the project will enhance the competitiveness of Valencian companies, enabling them to offer new products with an added-value factor.
The broader objective of the project is to develop new functionalised textile yarns from recycled polyamide fibres from fishing nets, which are then blended with natural fibres for technical applications.
During the project, different spinning tests will be carried out with various raw materials, compositions (blends with cotton, recycled cotton and wool) and percentages, to develop new sustainable fabrics with properties capable of competing with commercially available textile products. The final objective is to achieve products with similar properties to those already on the market today, but in this case obtained from recycled polyamide, which represents an added-value factor in terms of sustainability and the circular economy of the product.
More specifically, the objectives can be defined as:
- To obtain new formulations based on additivated recycled PA: UV (to improve the resistance of materials to ultraviolet rays), UPF (to protect the skin from ultraviolet rays), FR (to retard flame propagation), FIR (to reflect the far-infrared waves emitted by the body providing therapeutic effects to the cells), NI (to release negative ions producing numerous benefits for the wearer).
- To develop different fibre sections to provide new properties to these functionalized fibres (trilobal, multilobal sections…)
- To optimise the multifilament spinning process, melting recycled polyamide to achieve the best possible mechanical properties.
- To develop new open-end functionalised yarns from blended recycled PA and natural fibre (recycled cotton and wool).
- To manufacture fabrics from the resulting fibres for technical applications: sportswear, personal protective equipment (PPE), carpets and rugs, etc.
The results of the project will be truly novel, as sustainable, circular economy fabrics will be developed (with technical applications) from functional recycled polyamide yarn blends and natural fibres.
The successful outcome of the project will produce results that are closely related to the specific objectives mentioned in the previous section, and will include:
- New formulations from recycled PA functionalised for UV, UPF, FR, FIR and NI capabilities.
- Spunmelt multifilament yarns from recycled polyamide, creating fibres with the best possible mechanical properties and fibres with new functions due to the different sections.
- New functionalised open-end yarns from recycled PA blends and natural fibre (recycled cotton and wool).
- Manufacture of demonstrator technical fabrics from the fibre developed.
In addition, the developments will have applications in sectors such as sportswear, personal protective equipment (PPE), carpets, etc. thanks to the range of technical applications they offer.
This project is funded by the Conselleria d’Economia Sostenible, Sectors Productius, Comerç i Treball de la Generalitat Valenciana, through IVACE, and is co funded by ERDF from the European Commission within the framework of the Operational Programme FEDER for the Comunitat Valenciana 2014-2020.
GRANT NUMBER: IMDEEA/2020/8
AMOUNT: 215.201,22 €
- Year: 2020
- Status: Finished
- Entity: IVACE