The project is motivated by the advantages represented by pre-impregnated materials. These materials comprise two components: fabrics that act as reinforcement and a thermosetting resin in a pre-polymerised state (state B), i.e. a viscous state in which the resin has not fully cured.
The result is a material that is already impregnated with resin, but not cured, offering a number of advantages over conventional products that are not impregnated:
- Easy to use in compression moulding processes. The pre-impregnated material is processed directly in the mould and the final product does not require pre-processing.
- Contact of operators with resins, which are hazardous products, is avoided.
- There are no operator errors in the resin and hardener mixing processes.
- The fibre to resin ratio of the pre-impregnated material is measured and controlled.
The objectives of the PRE-TEX 2021 project are as follows:
- To develop pre-impregnated materials with functional thermosetting resins, by mixing in a tri-cylindrical calender.
- To develop pre-impregnated materials with natural fibres.
- To use these developments to generate business opportunities in textile weaving and finishing companies.
The knowledge generated by the research carried out during PRE-TEX 2021 will lead to the following results: the successful conclusion of a State-of-the-Art Study, the development of pre-pregs at laboratory scale and composites derived from them and the identification of transfer opportunities to weaving and finishing companies.
This project is funded by the Conselleria d’Economia Sostenible, Sectors Productius, Comerç i Treball de la Generalitat Valenciana, through IVACE.
- Grant number: IMAMCI/2021/1
- More information: NON-ECONOMIC ACTIVITIES PLAN
- Year: 2021
- Status: Finished
- Entity: IVACE