NOBICO – DEVELOPMENT OF HIGH-PERFORMANCE MONO AND BICOMPONENT NON-WOVEN MATERIALS
In general, non-woven meltspun fabrics (Meltblown and Spunbond) are laminated textile structures, made from fibres obtained from thermoplastic polymeric materials. The meltspun non-woven market is focused on the use of thermoplastic materials of the “comfort” type, mainly polypropylene, polyester and polyamide, thus this project’s aim is to provide added-value factors to these materials by conferring new properties on them.
Furthermore, demand for the use of recycled materials is growing from both the public and governments. In this respect, processability tests will be carried out on different recycled materials such as polyester, polyamide and polyethylene in order to determine their viability for use in spunbond and meltblown processes.
This is a broad area of research, with many possibilities for innovation and one with a vast potential market both in Valencia and Spain in general, where AITEX aims to contribute knowledge and development of new applications and functionalities for different sectors.
The objective is to develop non-wovens using meltspun technologies (spunbond and meltblown) with special properties (pH-chromic, elastic and thermal) using environmentally friendly materials. Both single and bi-component filaments will be used to combine the properties of different materials in the same monofilament.
In order to achieve the general objective of the project, which is to manufacture non-woven fabrics with new functionalities and materials, a series of technical objectives must be met.
- Obtaining mono- and bi-component non-wovens with conventional materials with additives that confer new functionalities on the fabrics.
- Obtaining elastic, high-strength bi-component non-wovens by combining different materials.
- Obtaining non-wovens from recycled materials, mainly using spunbond technology.
- Obtaining non-woven samples by optimising the different processing parameters to obtain cohesive fabrics with a uniform structure.
- Characterisation of the mechanical and functional properties of the different samples.
- Obtaining final prototypes for each of the defined applications.
The successful outcome of the project will help extend our knowledge of the non-woven manufacturing processes using meltspun technologies, as well as the different possibilities for functionalisation and use of recycled materials.
In order to complete the project successfully, functional non-wovens will be created for the following application areas.
This project is funded by the Conselleria d’Economia Sostenible, Sectors Productius, Comerç i Treball de la Generalitat Valenciana, through IVACE.
GRANT NUMBER: IMAMCI/2020/1
MORE INFORMATION IN THE NON-ECONOMIC ACTIVITIES PLAN
- Year: 2020
- Status: Finished
- Entity: IVACE