I + D / Nuevos materiales y sostenibilidad. Revalorización de residuos, no tejidos y composites
LIGHTCOMP 2020 – RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT OF LOW WEIGHT MULTIFUNCTIONAL COMPOSITES FOR THE TRANSPORT SECTOR
The first milestone of the present project was reached in 2019, when work was carried out both on the insertion of technical carbon fibres using Tailored Fibre Placement (TFP) technology, and on obtaining composites using Resin Transfer Moulding (RTM) using thermosetting and fireproof resins.
In the LIGHTCOMP2020 project, AITEX proposes the development of lightweight composite materials with functional properties such as heating and lighting or even the ability to measure parameters by inserting sensors.
The challenge posed by the R&D project in new composites involves the use of smart fabrics, functionalised resins and cores that guarantee low weight combined with mechanical and functional properties that meet the needs of the demanding transport sector.
Concurrently, and in line with current trends in environmental friendliness, composite materials will be developed using natural fibres to replace conventional carbon fibres, as well as textile substrates made of recycled carbon fibre, so that waste can be reintroduced into the production chain.
The main objective of the LIGHTCOMP 2020 project is the development of low weight functional composites for use in the transport sector. More specifically, the project will focus on the development of high added-value solutions for the private vehicle market, but not for public transport such as railways, buses, trams, etc.
Three specific areas of action have been defined according to the type of materials to be improved, either by reducing weight or by making them more functional:
- Composite material element for use in the bodywork and external components of private vehicles.
- Composite material element for use in the interior linings of the passenger compartments of private vehicles.
- Composite material element in structural components of vehicles in the transport sector
The successful outcome of the project will produce a range of high-performance textile-based structures using embroidery technology with technical fibres such as carbon, glass or polypropylene. These fibre types offer high physical stability which, when formed into a composite, greatly reduce the weight of the materials, offering structural characteristics similar to much heavier components. The difference in properties offered by technical fibres as opposed to natural fibres or recycled carbon fibres will also be evaluated.
The lines of research considered in this project are:
- R&D of the introduction of carbon fibre into embroidery processes to improve the mechanical resistance of the materials against specific efforts according to the application needs.
- R&D of new smart fabrics with application in manufacturing processes of composites for the transport sector. The main functionalities of interest are heating, lighting and sensorisation capacity.
- R&D of the introduction of recycled carbon fibre substrates in the development of low weight composite materials.
- R&D of the use of natural fibres for the development of composite panels for use in the transport sector.
- Development of composite material components for structural and design components for the transport sector.
- R&D of the use of sustainable thermosetting resins for the development of composite materials for the transport sector.
- R&D of the functionalisation of thermosetting resins to provide the target composites with fireproof properties and resistance to external agents.
This project is funded by the Conselleria d’Economia Sostenible, Sectors Productius, Comerç i Treball de la Generalitat Valenciana, through IVACE, and is co funded by ERDF from the European Commission within the framework of the Operational Programme FEDER for the Comunitat Valenciana 2014-2020.
GRANT NUMBER: IMDEEA/2020/35
AMOUNT: 237.642,12 €
- Year: 2020
- Status: Finalizado
- Entity: IVACE