I + D / Moda, diseño y confección
HABITAT 2020 – RESEARCH INTO SOCIAL, MARKET AND PRODUCT TRENDS AS A STRATEGIC DESIGN BASE FOR HOME TEXTILE MANUFACTURERS
The habitat sector, which includes ceramics, lighting, decoration, furniture and textile, is in constant evolution which obviously influences the products that consumers expect to find in the shops and which manufacturers will have to provide.
Certain macro trends remain with us for several years, yet are influenced and change with consumer expectations, forcing us to make quick decisions to create products that meet consumer demands; meeting these needs requires product design strategies.
This year 2020 began with short and medium-term expectations centred on sustainability, health, digitalisation, customisation and luxury. Then, during the first quarter, an unwanted guest arrived from China in the shape of COVID 19. It hit Europe hard and fast, affecting our lifestyle and environment and changing the products we will find in the shops when the situation stabilises in the new normal.
We have already seen that, certain influencing factors detected at the close of 2019, have now been pushed to the background, to be substituted for others of more pressing concern for consumers looking for home decoration articles.
Our habitat is set to become a safe space where we will find a warm, healthy environment that permits an easy change of space: “health has come to stay”. Sustainability will be fully incorporated into our homes using biodegradable and reusable articles.
Technology will become even more integrated, and we are all going to spend more time at home working online, attending virtual meetings, shows and even museums and events. More open, comfortable, versatile and inviting spaces will be required, and this will help us to design multitasking spaces, better adapted to everyone who will be using them in their homes.
Throughout 2020, the aim is to develop the project to research, analyse and propose trends focused mainly on the home textile sector, and to demonstrate new ways of living brought about by social and market changes. These changes have been created by a search for health which has forced us to change our way of life and which is going to be present for the foreseeable future.
Not only will we study home textile trends but conduct a market study over the coming months will analyse the market’s evolution in the last half of 2020, and ensure that the broader scope of the HABITAT project, which is to review the trends proposed for 2020 and the expectations for the next two years is followed.
The aim of the project is to promote strategic design concepts for companies in the home textile industries and the sectors of concern to HABITAT. These companies need qualitative and quantitative trend forecasts to develop innovative ideas into textile articles for home textiles and contract furnishings.
We have focused the research on the following points:
- To make home textile companies aware of the value of strategic design. This requires a study of the upcoming trends in home textiles from a social, technological (materials, processes and digitalisation) and aesthetic viewpoints. The study enabled us to propose innovative ideas in product design for the strategic sectors of contract furnishing and home textiles for 2021.
- A 6-monthly quantitative study of the home textile market to identify its evolution through basic variables. We will identify the current importance of each different market, including the main purchasers and their behaviour. Current target groups, their typical purchases and a selection of the channels and their importance. We will identify market type by place and the potential importance of each.
- We will research, analyse and launch innovative ideas through forecasts of society, markets, materials, technologies and the look that influences HABITAT (public and private), with an eye on 2021-2022, in which textile constitutes an important ally for the other sectors involved in HABITAT (furnishing, lighting and ceramics).
- The resulting data will be transferred to companies in the home textile industry to provide innovative new aesthetic ideas to create new products based on market and design trends. This will be aided by running workshops, conferences and web publications.
The results of the project will be reflected in the following:
- A TREND STUDY TO CREATE IDEAS FOR THE HOME TEXTILE SECTOR IN 2021, results of the trend forecast to be carried out in home textiles from social, technological (materials, processes and digitalisation) and aesthetic viewpoints.
- HOME TEXTILE MARKET STUDY: presentation of the results for DECEMBER 2020-JANUARY 2021 (second half of 2020).
- WORKSHOPS to present the results to companies in the home textile sector in the first and second half of 2020, during which we will collaborate with companies to capitalise on the results of the qualitative and quantitative research into market trends to develop products for 2021, based on the vectors which influence strategic design.
This project is funded by the Conselleria d’Economia Sostenible, Sectors Productius, Comerç i Treball de la Generalitat Valenciana, through IVACE.
GRANT NUMBER: IMAMCI/2020/1
MORE INFORMATION IN THE NON-ECONOMIC ACTIVITIES PLAN
- Year: 2020
- Status: Finished
- Entity: IVACE