I + D / Textiles inteligentes y soluciones TIC
Proper rehabilitation after a sports injury is critical for an athlete’s quick and total recovery. However, the process is often repetitive and boring and if not carried out under the supervision of a professional, may even hinder recovery. For this reason, it is very important to count on expert assistance to guide the patient during recovery, and warn them if an exercise is being done correctly.
However, supervision is often not possible, and the patient may feel confused as to whether they are performing the exercise correctly. On the other hand, confinement, such as that which occurred recently, have made supervision even more difficult.
In these situations, artificial intelligence, ICT and smart textiles have a huge potential in developing solutions that help, to a certain extent, to guide patients in rehabilitation. However, it is essential that these new tools and solutions consider aspects such as patient boredom and this is where gamification comes in.
The project will improve the studies carried out in the previous year on movement sensors capable of detecting the position and orientation of the different limbs of the body. Specifically, new mathematical models capable of detecting more complex movements, commonly used in functional training, will be designed.
New knitted fabrics with conductive yarns and fabrics with conductive inks will be developed for the development of textile sensors connected to an app that will improve the performance of sports training at home through gamification.
In this sense, the main objective of the project is the development of smart textiles that improve performance and assist the athlete during functional training by applying gamification solutions.
- Link from 3 to 5 motion sensors for complex motion detection.
- Research and development of sensors using knitted technology and conductive yarns to monitor physiological parameters and electrostimulation.
- Create new mathematical models of typical functional training movements using AI tools by analysing data captured by motion sensors to improve sports performance.
- Develop applications for mobile devices that enable supervised and guided sports training through the use of sensors.
- Integrating sensorised garments for use with Virtual Reality systems.
The successful conclusion of the project will yield the following results:
- R1. Textile elements that integrate electrodes to measure muscle activity and inform the user whether he/she is exercising properly or not.
- R2. Knitted fabrics with pressure sensors that interact with the user according to the activity (via the rectilinear).
- R3. Fabrics that integrate pressure sensors to monitor runners’ stride and improve running performance.
- R4. VR and mobile applications to monitor exercise and provide virtual assistance during functional training.
This project is funded by the Conselleria d’Economia Sostenible, Sectors Productius, Comerç i Treball de la Generalitat Valenciana, through IVACE.
- Grant number: IMAMCI/2021/1
- More information: NON-ECONOMIC ACTIVITIES PLAN
- Year: 2021
- Status: Finished
- Entity: IVACE