FUN2GARMENT II. R+D OF NEW FUNCTIONAL FINISHES ON HIGHLY-SUSTAINABLE TECHNICAL TEXTILES AND GARMENTS
The textile finishing subsector in the Autonomous Region of Valencia is a very important part of the textile industry. In terms of productivity, the subsector is an intensive consumer of water, chemicals and energy and this makes it one of the most important areas in which to undertake research and development of solutions designed to support water-saving measures and reduce the consumption of chemicals and the volume of waste water currently resulting from the activity. This is the premise under which AITEX proposed the FUN2GARMENT project in 2017, which is aimed at developing and validating new textile finishing processes using lasers, ozone and micronisation adapted to the home textiles and sportswear industries for natural and synthetic fabrics, and seeks to functionalise and technify both the resulting fabrics and the sustainability of the processes involved. The full potential of the technology was proven both for finishing textiles and finished garments as well as other non-textile materials to create design effects and a series of functionalities using micronisation in processes which consumed between 150 – 200 ml of finishing formula per garment compared to more typical volumes of several litres in conventional processes.
The objective of FUN2GARMENT II is to continue the development and validation of the textile finishing processes using lasers, ozone and micronisation adapted to the home textiles and sportswear industries for natural and synthetic fabrics, just as in 2017, with the addition of two others: protective clothing and footwear/leather goods. The project seeks to innovate designs and fashion and the functionalisation and technification of the fabrics while saving water, chemicals and energy compared to current direct finishing technologies such as spraying and dip coating. In the denim industry, these techniques already provide excellent results in terms of sustainability and customising but there are as yet, no verifiable results for the articles covered by FUN2GARMENT II. New materials to be researched are incorporated into year 2, including wool, hi-tech fibres (aramids and FR viscose), natural rubber and polyurethane and wood-based poly leather.
Using the knowledge base and results acquired in 2017, FUN2GARMENT II will validate the design effects achieved with colours and customised finishes, etc. and wash-fastness and general durability of the micronized finishes, ensuring that the processes do not adversely affect the intrinsic properties of the material. AITEX also proposes to continue and broaden the transfer of results – which was so successful during 2017 – to sectors of Valencian industry which already enjoy high levels of production, great innovative potential and a notable national and international market share.
- Fabrics and poly leather for upholstery and home textiles (table wear, bedding and blinds) with laser decoration.
- Micro-perforated fabrics and protective clothing with enhanced breathability without adversely affecting the fabric’s protective performance, and footwear or shoe components and wooden items with laser marking.
- New pre-treatments and cleaning processes for home textiles using ozone, and a study of the interactions occurring between oxidants, resins and anti-stain finishes using advanced analytical approaches.
- Protective clothing and sports and casual wear made from wool and hi-tech natural and synthetic fabrics which have been functionalised using nano bubbles, combined with decorative effects obtained using lasers.
- Casual clothing made from cotton and viscose which has been laser-etched, aged with ozone and nano bubbles (inter-technology synergy). Finishing processes using less than a cup of formula per garment.
- Reduction in water, chemical and energy consumption and time compared to conventional processes.
- Establish the degree of industrial scalability of the laser technology.
- Evaluate and measure the impact of the project on the textile industry and related activities. The immediate transfer of the results to interested companies, so that it may drive R+D+I and enable them to launch new products and projects in a shorter time scale.
- At least 10 Valencian companies are either involved directly in the project or have been informed about the results and have become involved in the process of transferring results, technology and know-how.
This Project is supported by the Conselleria d’Economia Sostenible, Sectors Productius i Treball, through the IVACE (Instituto Valenciano de Competitividad Empresarial) and is co-financed by ERDF from the EU within the framework of the Operational Programme FEDER for the Comunitat Valenciana 2014-2020.
GRANT NUMBER: IMDEEA/2018/119
AMOUNT: 198.842,60 €
- Año: 2018
- Estado: finalizado
- Entidad: IVACE