ECORUG – RESEARCH INTO SPINNING POSTCONSUMPTION PET FOR THE MANUFACTURE OF 100% RECYCLABLE RUGS
The demand for polyester fibre has been increasing over the years to the point where it has become the most widely sought fibre in the textile industry, and this growth is expected to continue in the coming years.
This also means that the vast majority of waste is of this type of material, leading to massive contamination of the environment. It is here that the ECORUG project aims to make a contribution, by using polyester waste to manufacture yarns to make 100% recyclable carpets and rugs. As these carpets will be made from a single material, at the end of their life they can more easily be recycled into new products, promoting an environmentally friendly circular economy.
The core objective of the project is to create 100% recyclable carpets and rugs made of polyester-based materials, which can be mechanically recovered without the need to separate the different components, which would increase costs and processing times.
In order to achieve this objective, the aim is to optimise the feel, appearance and resilience of the textured multifilament yarns, and source a substitute for latex that will bond the components successfully while maintaining the required physical properties. In order to achieve success, the project plans different polymer functionalisation tasks including melt spinning. The most promising multifilaments will be texturised by DTY and BCF, where the various parameters of the different texturising technologies will be adjusted to obtain the best results to manufacture the prototypes. The specific objectives set out by the project are:
- Polymer functionalisation: using the compounding machine, the different polymers will be functionalised to improve their properties: as UV protectors, process stabilisers, anti-odour or perfumed yarns that will then be melt spun into the functionalised multifilament yarns for BCF texturing.
- BCF texturing: with the best samples obtained in each of the blends, a battery of BCF texturing tests will be carried out, applying different machine configurations in search of the best physical properties of the multifilaments.
- Use of sustainable materials: the resulting commercial sustainable materials will be used to manufacture tufting prototypes to increase the durability and recyclability of the samples.
- Prototyping: manufacturing prototypes with the samples that have the best physical properties, in order to carry out different tests on the final article. The yarn will be spun on the tufting plant.
- Replacement of latex: the aim will be to replace the latex traditionally used as bonding material by carpet manufactures with others from the polyester family to create carpets and rugs from a single material to enhance their recyclability.
- Transfer of the results: the transfer of the knowledge obtained in the project to the private sector is of great importance for the industry to advance and improve.
The aim is to create carpets and rugs that are made entirely of materials from the polyester group that are environmentally friendly and 100% recyclable. They will be made using BCF yarn developed in the project that will have optimal feel, appearance and resilience.
In order to reach the overall goal, the aim is to achieve the following small-scale results:
- Create multifilament yarns with optimised feel, appearance and resilience, using the functionalised blends.
- DTY and BCF texturising of the best spun yarns to make consumer prototypes using tufting technology.
- Sustainable ink-jet finishes of the prototypes made with the yarns and with commercially available yarn.
- Substitute latex with a material from the polyester family.
- Total and direct recyclability of the prototypes.
This project is funded by the Conselleria d’Economia Sostenible, Sectors Productius, Comerç i Treball de la Generalitat Valenciana, through IVACE, and is co funded by ERDF from the European Commission within the framework of the Operational Programme FEDER for the Comunitat Valenciana 2014-2020.
GRANT NUMBER: IMDEEA/2020/21
AMOUNT: 237.130,94 €
- Year: 2020
- Status: Finished
- Entity: IVACE