ECO-ACABADOS – Research and study of the application of sustainable finishes.
Consumers increasingly demand responsible consumption and clothing that respects the environment. That is why companies are committed to sustainable processes, trying to develop fabrics and finished articles that are chemical-free, use renewable materials, do not contaminate water or air, protect the soil, save energy and reduce waste and transport costs to help prevent global warming.
This project aims to investigate different eco technologies to analyse, demonstrate and quantify their advantages and to develop new products for the clothing and habitat sector.
- Study the infinite possibilities offered by micronised technology to apply functional finishes in ready-made garments (fabric softening, liquid repellence, antimicrobial, easy-care resins) or dyeing effects with a minimum consumption of water and chemicals, and zero spills.
- Study the application of natural vegetable dyes on fabric and ready-made garments.
- Determine the advantages offered by ozone technology to whiten and age garments avoiding the use of chemical bleaching in garments using toxic oxidising products (bleaching and the use of permanganate), thus considerably reducing water and energy consumption.
- Analyse and quantify the advantages of the use of calendering for textile functionalisation by developing multilayer articles by laminating thermo-adhesive films and special effects.
- Evaluate the benefits that plasma technology offers in the pre-treatment of materials in a dry, environmentally friendly and cost-efficient process, without manual operations or the use of chemical products.
- Evaluate the inclusion of 3D printing and laser marking with zero waste, to create new textile structures, finishes, composite materials, enabling the customisation of accessories and fabrics.
- Implement tools to evaluate the advantages of each process: (life-cycle analysis and carbon footprint.)
- A comparative study between the different technologies (Eco vs Conventional) where the real and tangible benefits of the use of the different ECO technologies are revealed, both in terms of sustainability and economy.
- Achieve new ECO technology applications of interest to companies in the habitat and clothing sectors.
- Develop prototypes using different technologies and their manufacturing “route maps” for transfer to companies.
This project is funded by the Conselleria d’Economia Sostenible, Sectors Productius, Comerç i Treball de la Generalitat Valenciana, through IVACE, and is co funded by ERDF from the European Commission within the framework of the Operational Programme FEDER for the Comunitat Valenciana 2014-2020
GRANT NUMBER: IMDEEA/2019/58
- Year: 2019
- Status: Finished
- Entity: IVACE