BIOMATTER 2020 – SUSTAINABILITY APPLIED TO THE DEVELOPMENT OF SOLUTIONS FOR THE HOME TEXTILE AND FASHION SECTORS (YEAR 2)
The BIOMATTER 2020 project has arisen from the need for sustainable textile products for the home textile and fashion sectors, which are of great economic importance nationally and internationally. As in any other sector, sustainability is a growing issue, so the development of 100% renewable and biodegradable textile materials, which also meet the industry’s demands for style, design and technical performance translates into a technological advance increasingly demanded in the sector. This is the premise for the BIOMATTER 2020 project.
The core objective of BIOMATTER 2020, which began in 2019, is the development of new highly sustainable products for the fashion and home textile industries. To this end, research is focused on pressing, lamination and flexographic printing technology. The main lines of action considered are:
- R&D of 100% ecological and biodegradable materials as an alternative to animal leather and conventional simile-leather (BIOMATTER leather solutions). Implementation of more sustainable backing materials (either renewable or recycled raw materials), leathers of vegetable origin and biodegradable adhesives and coatings.
- Research and development of 100% sustainable ink formulations.
- Research of the aesthetic finishing process of the BIOMATTER solutions using flexography. The introduction of renewable and/or functional inks in the flexographic process.
- Characterisation applied to the target sectors of the BIOMATTER solutions. Physical-chemical, mechanical and functional characterisation.
- Prototyping of finished products for the fashion, accessories and home-textile sectors. Implementation of sustainable accessories in the prototypes to produce the most ecological product posible.
The successful conclusion of the project will produce the following results:
- Home textile prototypes using sustainable leather-like materials, with an aesthetic finish created by the flexographic process.
- Prototypes for the fashion and accessories sector, derived from the use of sustainable simile-leather materials with an aesthetic finish created by the flexographic process.
This project is funded by the Conselleria d’Economia Sostenible, Sectors Productius, Comerç i Treball de la Generalitat Valenciana, through IVACE.
GRANT NUMBER: IMAMCI/2020/1
MORE INFORMATION IN THE NON-ECONOMIC ACTIVITIES PLAN
- Year: 2020
- Status: In Progress
- Entity: IVACE