Years: January 2021 – June 2022
In general, spunbond nonwoven fabrics (meltblown and spunbond) are lamellar textile structures made from fibres obtained from thermoplastic polymeric materials. The market for spunmelt nonwovens is highly focused on the use of thermoplastic commodity materials, mainly polypropylene. This project aims to add value to these materials by functionalising them and conferring new properties on them.
In addition, the increasing use of non-woven polypropylene in the manufacture of facemasks, poses a serious environmental problem. However, the development of facemasks with compostable materials, such as PLA, can mitigate this impact.
It is a broad area of research, with many possibilities for innovation and with a vast potential market, both in Spain and in the Regional Autonomous Valencian Community, where AITEX aims to provide knowledge and development of new applications or functionalities for different sectors.
The aim of the project is to develop nonwovens using spunmelt technologies (spunbond and meltblown) with special properties, using environmentally friendly materials.
Achieving the general objectives, which is to obtain non-woven fabrics with new functionalities and materials, a series of technical objectives have to be met:
- Optimisation of PLA/BioTPE formulations to obtain compostable and biodegradable elastic nonwovens.
- Optimisation of the meltblown process to obtain compostable nonwovens for facemasks.
- Optimisation of PP/SAP formulations for the development of nonwovens with high water absorption capacity.
- Optimisation of formulations for the development of spunbond nonwovens that change colour with pH.
The successful conclusion of the project will be functional non-wovens for the following applications.
- Compostable/biodegradable meltblown nonwovens with an elasticity of more than 200%.
- 100% compostable meltblown nonwovens for FFP2 masks
- Superabsorbent spunbond nonwovens for personal hygiene and/or sanitary applications such as nappies, sanitary napkins and dressings.
- Superabsorbent spunbond nonwovens for agrotextiles
- Nonwoven spunbond fabrics that change colour as pH changes
This project is funded by the Conselleria d’Economia Sostenible, Sectors Productius, Comerç i Treball de la Generalitat Valenciana, through IVACE, and is co funded by ERDF from the European Commission within the framework of the Operational Programme FEDER for the Comunitat Valenciana 2014-2020.
- Grant number: IMDEEA/2021/45
- Amount: —-
- Years: 2021-2022
- Status: In progress
- Entity: IVACE