PROTECT – Pre-commercial lines for production of surface nanostructured antimicrobial and antibiofilm textiles, medical devices and water treatment membranes
The H2020 PROTECT project (Pre-commercial lines for production of surface nanostructured antimicrobial and antibiofilm textiles, medical devices and water treatment membranes, GA 720851) has 48 months duration (01/01/17– 31/12/2020), is coordinated by Univesitat Politécnica de Catalunya and different entities from 8 countries participate, highlighting 70 % of industrial participation (13 SMEs and 2 large industries): Bar Ilan University (IL), Consiglio Nazionale Delle Ricerche (I), Università degli Studi di Milano-Bicocca (I), Centitvc – Centro de Nanotecnologia e Materiais Técnicos Funcionais e Inteligentes Associação (P), University of Limerick (IR), Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas (ES), Klopman International S.R.L (I), Tessitura Pertile S.R.L (I), Maroco Lda (P), Degania Silicone LTD (IL), Centro Diagnostico Baronia S.R.L., In Sigla C.D.B. S.R.L. (I), Cedrat Technologies S.A (F), Steinbeis GmbH & Co. KG für Technologietransfer (D), Fonte Nuova S.R.L (I), Indatech S.A.S (F), I.C.O.N.E S.A.S (F), Synthaur OOO (RS), Asociación De Investigación De La Industria Textil (ES), Project SAS (I), NSC – Nano Sono Cooperation LTD (IL), OSM-DAN Ltd (IL).
The main PROTECT project aims are:
- Establishment of three pre-commercial nanoparticle (NPs) coating lines for production of a large spectrum of 2D and 3D antimicrobial products
- Advanced low-cost, sustainable and safe coating processes and products featuring:
o Single step product functionalization
o Low energy consumption
o Low amount of NPs used for coating
o Minor NPs release during product exploitation
o Low environmental footprint of processes and products
o Extended lifecycle of the coated products
o Low product cost due to the low energy consumption, minimal manpower required, and the recycling capability
- Novel highly efficient antimicrobial and anti-biofilm NPs – inorganic, organic, biological and hybrid
- In situ monitoring and control of NPs coating processes and products
- Shelf-life monitoring of the antimicrobial and anti-biofilm performance of the products based on smart indicators
- Implementation of safety by design approaches to control potential risks during NPs coating and product use
- New functional products with improved performance: antimicrobial textiles ( for use in public areas and hospitals), antimicrobial/anti-biofilm water treatment membranes and biocompatible antimicrobial/anti-biofilm medical devices
- Introducing a Labs Network (PLN) that will include also lab scale processes of the proposed technologies for training and knowledge dissemination.
This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 720851”.
Info and opinions in this website reflect only the author’s view and the Commission is not responsible for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
- Year: 2017
- Status: In progress
- Entity: European Union