LIGHTCOMP 2019 – RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT OF LOW-WEIGHT MULTIFUNCTIONAL COMPOSITES FOR THE TRANSPORT SECTOR
The LIGHTCOMP project focuses on the development of low-weight composite materials combined with functional elements such as textronic elements and additives that can provide particular functionalities of interest to the road transport sector.
The efforts of R & D in recent years in the field of textiles with application in composites has been concerned with obtaining low cost textile structures with excellent mechanical performance. The combination of textronic elements with functionalised thermosetting resins offers many possibilities for innovation in the field of composite materials.
The challenge associated with this R & D project involves creating composite materials combining smart fabrics, functionalised resins and cores that guarantee low weight combined with mechanical and functional properties that meet the needs of a sector as demanding as transportation.
The main objective of the LIGHTCOMP project is the development of low weight composites with functional characteristics for use in the transport sector. More specifically, this project will focus on the development of high value-added solutions for the private land transport market, rather than applications associated with public transport, such as railways, buses, trams, etc.
Two specific areas of action have been defined according to the type of materials to be improved, either by reducing their weight or by their functionalisation:
- A composite material component used in truck bodies
- A composite material component used in truck cabs
In this project, different lines of work will be considered, in the fields of thermoplastic and heat setting composites, putting at the service of the project the full capabilities of both research groups.
The result is expected to be high-performance textile-based structures manufactured using embroidery technology with technical fibres such as carbon, glass or polypropylene. These fibres offer high physical stability that, when combined in a composite, greatly reduce the weight of the materials offering structural characteristics similar to much heavier elements.
Research lines considered within the project framework:
- R & D of composite materials reinforced with high-strength thermoplastic fibres as an alternative to fiberglass commonly used in the transport sector.
- R & D of new smart textiles with application in the manufacture of functional composites for car bodies. Focus on heatable composites and with controlled lighting capability.
- R & D of carbon fibre in embroidery processes to create of low-weight 3D structures.
- The use of recycled carbon fibre nonwovens in the development of lightweight panels for the transport sector.
- R & D of new lightweight honeycomb cores to be used in the development of 100% thermoplastic sandwich structures.
- R & D of elastomeric cores manufactured by 3D printing with high impact energy adsorption capacity.
- The use of thermosetting resins with thermoplastic behaviour (hybrid resin technology) in the manufacture of lightweight composites.
- R & D of the functionalisation of thermosetting resins with pigments and / or chromoactive dyes for the manufacture of composites with the ability to change colour under the influence of external stimuli.
This project is funded by the Conselleria d’Economia Sostenible, Sectors Productius, Comerç i Treball de la Generalitat Valenciana, through IVACE.
GRANT NUMBER: IMDEEA/2019/1
MORE INFORMATION IN THE NON-ECONOMIC ACTIVITIES PLAN
- Year: 2019
- Status: Finished
- Entity: IVACE