DENTALTEX – The design, fabrication and biological performance of a double-sided nanofibre veil for the treatment of periodontal disease
The goal of periodontal therapy is the regeneration of the periodontium, which is comprised of the gum, the alveolar bone and the periodontal ligaments. Guided Tissue Regeneration (GTR) is the most effective method for treating periodontal diseases. The procedure basically consists of placing a physical barrier over the periodontal defect, separating the bony area from the area that covers the tooth (periodontal area), thus excluding the gingival tissue during the early stages of the healing process.
Thanks to the morphology of the nanofibre veil and its ability to release drugs or active ingredients in a controlled manner, its use as a barrier in GTR represents a perfect alternative to the simple membranes without additives that are currently used.
The objective of the project is to develop a double-sided bioabsorbable biofilm veil, capable of providing specific properties for the treatment of the different areas affected by periodontal disease.
The present project proposes the development of a new barrier formed by a bioabsorbable nanofibre veil composed of 2 layers: one face of the veil will be designed to aid the regeneration of the alveolar bone and the other layer to aid the regeneration of the periodontal ligaments and root cement.
To achieve this goal, electrospinning technology will be developed to enable the fabrication of a polymer nanofibre veil by applying a high electrical charge to a precursor polymer solution that can be easily additivated with specific drugs. Inorganic calcium salts will be used for the treatment of the bone area, to initiate the differentiation of cells in osteoblasts, while for the treatment of the area of the periodontal ligament a drug will be used to differentiate cells in cementoblasts.
The resulting prototype must meet the following requirements:
- It must be bioabsorbable, non-toxic and non-antigenic
- Prevent the penetration of cells
- Possess sufficient surface texture to serve as a matrix for the proliferation of bone or dental cells
- Be able to release specific active ingredients for the different areas of application (mineral salts for the bone area and a cement growth factor for the dental area)
- Possess the ability to isolate the bone defect
- Generate stable, well-vascularised tissue with a high degree of compatibility
- Be simple to use
Advances will be made in new fields of medical and surgical applications for nanofibre veils as a double membrane for use in periodontal therapies.
It is intended to achieve the following results:
- To manufacture nanofibre veils of DL-PLG or an equivalent polymer with hydroxyapatite or other calcium salts, intended for bone regeneration in periodontal disease.
- To manufacture veils of gelatine or equivalent polymer nanofibres, additivated with growth factors for the regeneration of the periodontal ligament and the cement of the dental root.
- To produce a two-sided nanofibre veil prototype which combines the previous results.
- The in-vitro evaluation of the effect of electrospinning veils in the treatment of periodontal regeneration in terms of cell cultures and the creation of viable, non-toxic additivated nanofibre veils, with excellent adhesion and cell proliferation characteristics and the characterisation of the process of differentiation of dental pulp stem cells in osteoblasts and of periodontal ligament cells in cementoblasts on each face of the composite veil.
This Project is supported by the Conselleria d’Economia Sostenible, Sectors Productius i Treball, through the IVACE (Instituto Valenciano de Competitividad Empresarial)
GRANT NUMBER: IMAMCI/2018/1
MORE INFORMATION IN THE NON-ECONOMIC ACTIVITIES PLAN
- Año: 2018
- Estado: finalizado
- Entidad: IVACE