DENTALTEX II – Optimisation and manufacture of a device with coatings of different additive nanofibre veils for the treatment of periodontal disease.
The core motivation of the project is to continue to make advances in the developments begun the previous year in the DENTALTEX project.
During the first year the additivated nanofibre veils were validated for the treatment of periodontal disease conditions, proving that they are viable at the cellular level.
During the second year, the aim is to create a prototype composed of a central micro-porous core, covered by different nanofibre veils with additives for periodontal treatment. Both the nanofibre veils and the core will be able to provide specific benefits for the treatment of the different affected areas and avoid bacteriological infections, which will require:
– The characterisation of the process of cell differentiation in 3D (via histology of the section),
– To provide the device with the largest volume to fill the space produced by the bucco-dental disease, thus separating the regeneration zones,
– To enable the controlled growth of specific cells within the space through the vascularisation of the device,
– To provide the whole device with antibacterial properties to prevent infections; which is currently a problem in this type of treatment.
Electrospinning technology will be combined with different techniques, such as 3D printing, bio printing and the manufacture of a bio-non-woven, for the treatment of dental diseases. Regarding the field of bio printing, advances are expected to be made in a new line of research for AITEX’s Health Department.
The project expects to achieve the following results:
- Create a bioabsorbable core (to endow the final product with greater consistency) that is non-toxic, well vascularised and with a specific design to fill the periodontal defect.Acore that is able to physically separate the affected areas during cell regrowth and allow controlled cell growth of the periodontal ligament.
- Three different nanofibreveilswill be electrospun onto the core.
- A veil of bioabsorbable nanofibres with new doses of HA that cause the differentiation of dental pulp stem cells (hDPSC) in osteoblasts, for the treatment of the bone area
- A veil of bioabsorbable nanofibres with new doses of BMP-7; for the differentiation of periodontal ligament cells (hPDLSC) in cementoblasts and the creation of new periodontal ligament, for the treatment of the dental zone and the cavity occupied by the nucleus.
- A veil of bioabsorbable nanofibres with silver nitrate or another antibacterial compound for the treatment of the gingival area.
- To complete a histological characterisation ofthe process of viability and in vitro cell differentiation of the assembly formed by the three veils and the central core.
- To complete a bio-molecular characterisation ofthe antibacterial character of the third nanofibre veil.
This project is funded by the Conselleria d’Economia Sostenible, Sectors Productius, Comerç i Treball de la Generalitat Valenciana, through IVACE.
GRANT NUMBER: IMAMCI/2019/1
MORE INFORMATION IN THE NON-ECONOMIC ACTIVITIES PLAN
- Year: 2019
- Status: Finished
- Entity: IVACE