CosmeTec20 – Research into natural solutions to substitute synthetic polymers in cosmetics
Consumer habits are changing significantly because certain factors such as new lifestyles, access to more information, concern for the environment, well-being and health are gaining ground in our society. As a result, consumers are increasingly demanding products that combine quality, sustainability, customisation and technological support. In addition, consumers want brands to be more ethical and environmentally responsible. The considerable increase in synthetic polymer (microplastic) waste in the environment has made the search for new biodegradable materials the main challenge for materials science in recent years.
According to a study conducted by MINTEL, 51% of consumers in the United States would be willing to pay more for technical and functional products that are eco-friendly and 49% of American adults between the ages of 18 and 24 look for «clean» beauty products.
Therefore, although the claims «natural» and «organic» still resonate strongly with consumers, the term «clean» is gaining ground to ensure non-toxic and more efficient products. Transparency and ecological awareness resonate better with consumers seeking non-toxicity through safer and more sustainable natural and/or synthetic ingredients.
The main objective of the CosmeTec20 project is to study and develop sustainable strategies for the encapsulation of cosmetic ingredients and essential oils through the use of new natural or biodegradable materials, to replace synthetic polymers and create functional and stable encapsulated systems.
Specifically, there are two main objectives:
- Create natural encapsulated systems (microparticles, cosmetic beads, nanoparticles) applied in cosmetic products.
- Development of natural-based nanofibre veils for application as cosmetic patches.
The main results expected from this project are as follows:
- Optimal cosmetic pearls (Skin caviar) of natural origin using active ingredients of interest to the cosmetic industry for application in skin care and hair care products.
- To develop encapsulated systems for essential oils with natural or biodegradable membranes that are stable and efficient after their application on cosmetics.
- Nanoparticles with natural cosmetic ingredients and to study their use in cosmetic formulations.
- To obtain prototypes of nanofibre veils with a natural and/or biodegradable base for application as cosmetic patches.
- Validation of the developed products with volunteers and in-vitro testing.
This Project is funded by the Conselleria d’Economia Sotenible, Sectors Productius, Comerç i Treball de la Generalitat Valenciana, through IVACE, and is co funded by ERDF from the European Commission within the framework of the Operational Programme FEDER for the Comunitat Valenciana 2014-2020.
GRANT NUMBER: IMDEEA/2020/10
AMOUNT: 236.635,14 €
- Year: 2020
- Status: In Progress
- Entity: IVACE