BIONANOPOLYS – Open Innovation Test Bed for developing safe nano-enabled bio-based materials and polymer bionanocomposites for multifunctional and new advanced applications
Years: 2021 – 2024
BIONANOPOLYS project has 27 partners from 12 European countries, including 10 research centres, 10 SMEs, 3 large companies, 2 universities and 2 non-profit associations.
Protecting ecosystems, reducing greenhouse gas emissions, and saving non-renewable resources are key points for a more sustainable future. The potential alternative to petrochemical materials and products is materials from natural sources. Biomaterials are being widely used in some specific fields such as medicine. However, there is still an arduous task to position them at a competitive level against their fossil counterparts, in relation to the productivity for mass consumption and exploitation costs. These factors are currently a barrier to the market entry for biomaterials.
The main objective of BIONANOPOLYS is to create a network of pilot plants and complementary services to speed up the introduction of biobased nano-enabled materials into the market through a Single-Entry Point.
BIONANOPOLYS will generate a platform that integrates both technologies and scientific experience with dedication to biomaterials and nanotechnology. This will be complemented with the provision of services for the development and integration of new bio-based materials and nanomaterials.
In addition, the following secondary objectives were established:
- Upgrade 14 pilot plants across the entire BIONANOPOLYS value chain, being integrated into three groups that make up the Open Innovation Test Bed. Specifically, 5 plants focused on the development of bionanomaterials from biomass (obtaining cellulose nanofibers, cellulose nanocrystals, nanolignin, metallic nanoparticles, building blocks, block copolymers, active nanocapsules, etc.), 3 plants will develop bionanocomposites that maximize the dispersion of nanomaterials, and 6 pilot lines to manufacture bio-based nanoproducts from bionanocomposites, covering a wide range of applications in different sectors. All the pilot plants will participate in more than twenty case studies with key industrial players from the packaging, cosmetic, textile, paper, structural parts manufacturing, or agriculture sectors.
- Implement a transversal technology bureau to support pilot plant and end users by reducing technical risk, time, and barriers to the market penetration.
- Facilitate the commercial exploitation of the activities carried out by the clients and users of BIONANOPOLYS, through the development of transferable strategies to the users of the Test Beds (legal issues, intellectual property rights, etc.), applying the security regulations established the sector, product, and market, developing strategies for access to financing, improvement of skills, etc.
- Launch an accessible and economically sustainable Test Bed during and after the project by creating a user-friendly web-based single-entry point (SEP), updating the intellectual property models, defining a Business model to exploit BIONANOPOLYS and disseminating its aims and objectives through an open call and digital platform for stakeholder participation.
The main results expected in BIONANOPOLYS are:
- 14 pilot plants available for the development of new bio-based materials and nanomaterials.
- At least 20 case studies to develop reinforced polymers for packaging, cosmetics and functional ingredients, textiles and nonwovens, flexible packaging for food, packaging paper applications, foamed packaging products and lightweight structural parts, rigid packaging, and synthetic fibres for agricultural use.
- Responsible and safe use of bionanomaterials throughout the entire value chain.
- Life cycle assessment (LCA) and eco-efficiency analysis of manufactured products, which guarantees their recycling, composting or biodegradability at the end of their useful life.
- Establishment of safety protocols for the use of these materials in containers in contact with food and cosmetics.
- Support service for SMEs from the point of view of financing, through two investment partners (business angels) directly involved in BIONANOPOLYS, expecting a participation of 100 companies and 150 supported projects.
|1||ITENE||INSTITUTO TECNOLOGICO DEL EMBALAJE, TRANSPORTE Y LOGISTICA||Spain|
|2||AITEX||ASOCIACION DE INVESTIGACION DE LA INDUSTRIA TEXTIL||Spain|
|4||CTP||CENTRE TECHNIQUE DE L INDUSTRIE DESPAPIERS CARTONS ET CELLULOSES||France|
|5||CENTI||CENTITVC – CENTRO DE NANOTECNOLOGIA E MATERIAIS TECNICOS FUNCIONAIS E INTELIGENTES ASSOCIACAO||Portugal|
|6||STFI||SAECHSISCHES TEXTILFORSCHUNGSINSTITUT E .V.||Germany|
|7||BPF||BIOPROCESS PILOT FACILITY BV||Netherlands|
|10||IMT||INSTITUTUL NATIONAL DE CERCETAREDEZVOLTARE PENTRU MICROTEHNOLOGIE||Romania|
|11||CEA||COMMISSARIAT A L ENERGIE ATOMIQUE ET AUX ENERGIES ALTERNATIVES||France|
|12||IRIS||IRIS TECHNOLOGY SOLUTIONS, SOCIEDAD LIMITADA||Spain|
|14||BIOTREND||BIOTREND-INOVACAO E ENGENHARIA EM BIOTECNOLOGIA SA||Portugal|
|15||PARTICULA||PARTICULA GROUP DRUSTVO S OGRANICENOM ODGOVORNOSCU ZA USLUGE||Croatia|
|16||EBAN||European Business Angels Network||Belgium|
|17||EBN||EUROPEAN BUSINESS AND INNOVATION CENTRE NETWORK AISBL||Belgium|
|18||G&S||LAW IN NOVATION||Belgium|
|19||AXIA||AXIA INNOVATION UG||Germany|
|21||HTSM||HILOS TECNICOS SAN MIQUEL, SOCIEDADLIMITADA||Spain|
|24||DANIPACK||DANIPACK, INDUSTRIA DE PLASTICOS, SA||Portugal|
|25||DS Smith||DS SMITH PLC||United Kingdom|
|26||CELLMAT||CELLMAT TECHNOLOGIES SL||Spain|
|27||ILAB||LOGOPLASTE INNOVATION LAB LDA||Portugal|
Este Proyecto ha recibido financiación del programa de Investigación e Innovación Horizonte 2020 de la Unión Europea bajo el acuerdo de subvención No. 953206.
Would you like more information about the project? Fill in the following form.
- Years: 2021-2024
- Status: In progress
- Entity: European Union