BIOMATTER 2019 – SUSTAINABILITY IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF SOLUTIONS FOR THE HOME TEXTILES AND FASHION SECTORS.
The BIOMATTER 2019 project has arisen from the need to develop sustainable textile products for the home textile and fashion sectors, both of which are of great economic importance nationally and internationally. As in many other sectors, sustainability is becoming of growing importance. The search for products which require fewer resources, manufactured with recycled or natural materials and which are recyclable or biodegradable is the core objective of this project.
The core objective of BIOMATTER 2019 is the development of new highly-sustainable products for the fashion and home textile industries. The main lines of action considered in this project are:
- Research into the continuous laminating process with textiles of renewable origin with biofilms or coating systems of thermoplastic origin.
- Research of the aesthetic and functional finishing of fabrics, films and nonwovens with flexographic techniques. The use of inks from renewable origins and active compounds of biological origin in the flexographic process.
- Research and development of new simulation leather products as an alternative to tanned leather. The use of more sustainable backing materials (either raw materials of renewable or recycled origin). The use of partially-renewable polyurethane waxes and coatings.
- Prototyping of finished product for the fashion, accessory and upholstery sectors for home textiles.
- The use of techniques to measure the environmental impact of a textile product classified as sustainable: measurement of the carbon and water footprint and the environmental footprint.
As a result of the research carried out in this project, the expected results are the following:
- A collection of upholstery prototypes using sustainable simulation leather materials.
- A collection of accessory prototypes such as bags and belts using sustainable simulation leather materials.
- A collection of footwear prototypes using sustainable simulation leather materials.
- A collection of textile, non-woven, biofilm or laminated prototypes from the above products, with an aesthetic and functional finish using flexographic processes.
- Environmental impact evaluation.
This project is funded by the Conselleria d’Economia Sostenible, Sectors Productius, Comerç i Treball de la Generalitat Valenciana, through IVACE.
GRANT NUMBER: IMDEEA/2019/1
MORE INFORMATION IN THE NON-ECONOMIC ACTIVITIES PLAN
- Year: 2019
- Status: Finished
- Entity: IVACE